Monday, July 10, 2006

Mission Update

The bishop of the Northern Illinois Conference put me in touch with a pastor at a large (1,500 member) Methodist church in Seoul. I will begin working with them next week. They have an English-speaking congregation of about 30 members, most of whom I met today. I will help lead worship, preach on occasion, and lead a weekly middle/high school Bible study, along with some other responsibilities. They've decided to call me "Missionary Herbert," despite my insistence that "Ellen" is just fine. It makes me laugh. Titles are really important here, so I can understand the formality, even if it feels a little unusual to me. I'm really excited to be in mission and ministry again; I've felt a little lost the past several weeks without that church connection. Thank you all for your prayers during this transition time. I feel them carry me through each day.

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Ellen,
What a treat to get caught up on your life. I laughed aloud at your stories!
I am glad to hear that you have a connection with a church as I know how important that is. I will continue to pray for your success there and at school.
Thanks for keeping me updated!
It was funny to see your last blog dated Mon. the 10th when it is just evening of the 9th here. How many hours different from Galena are you?

E.M. Herbert said...

Hi Sherry! There is a 14-15 hour time difference between Korea and Central Standard Time in the US. Right now, I'm 14 hours ahead of you. Korea doesn't have Daylight Savings Time, so when you set your clocks back in the fall, it'll be 15 hours. When I go to bed, I always think about everyone "back home" who is just starting their day, and I always pray it'll be a good one. (Actually, by the time I go to bed, it's about lunchtime there in Illinois!) It's good to hear from you. I hope you're enjoying your summer.
Blessings!
EMH