Today I was asked by two mothers to give English names to their little girls. English names (or names that would be recognized in the English-speaking world, though not necessarily of English origin) are really popular here for kids in school, and they tend to keep their English names as adults when they interact with Westerners. Business people tend to use their English names since they're easier for Westerners to remember and pronounce. (For example, I had a little boy in one class whose name was "Suk-kyu," which is potentially problematic for English speakers.) So I have to come up with names for two very cute little girls.
Uncle Dick Gillies sent me another care package. Wow! Mail! The care package included jello, Kool Aid, gummy bears (I'm saving them for an emergency), black licorice (impossible to get here, one of my favorites, almost gone already!), and crayons and a pencil sharpener. I shared the black licorice with a friend while we were out exploring Seoul on Saturday. We both agree that Korea would be better if black licorice were available here.
Wednesday, August 30, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Conozco Jane está un nombre bien
My great nieces are:
Mia Juliet
Ana Luiza
Diana Isabel
(hmmm...__ana seems a theme here!)
Yes, Jane, you have a lovely name! Did I tell you that I had a student named Jane in my last school? She was one of my favorites--very sweet and very smart. Must be something about the name.
Ann, those are lovely names, too. Is the "ana" trend in honor of you by any chance? There was a girl in my high school in Germany whose name was Anna-Louisa. I always thought that was so elegant!
I think that's what you should name your little girls...it should be Jane. yes you did tell me that in your last school about the girl named Jane...It's all about the name
My student workers were being destructive little peons, so I told them to come up with the prettiest princess names they could think of. Ah, the joys of working for the University. Trying to corral college students into being constructive. The winners are:
Clarisse/Clarice
Eliane
Celeste
Sophia
Fionna
Meredith!!!!!! Great suggestions. I already have a Sophie in the class, so Sophia is too close. Fiona?! Umm . . .
How are you? Where are you? University? What happened to IKEA? Oh, I'm so confused. Drop me an email sometime and let me know what you're up to. I'm not sure I have your email address. Mine is emherbert@gmail.com .
By the way, everyone, I really like this project of naming SOMEONE ELSE'S kid! I have one name in mind that hasn't been mentioned yet, but I want to run it by her mother before I announce it.
I think Sara is a great name...
I think Sara is a great name, too, and surprisingly, I don't think we have one at the school yet.
Hi Jenn!
Another vote for FIONA?!!! Wow, I never would have come up with that one on my own. One possible problem is that the F sound is very difficult for Koreans. Most say it as a P. Piona just doesn't cut it.
I love the name Grace. It is also exceptionally popular here as an English name. The other suggestions are fantastic, too. Thanks!
Post a Comment