Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Learning to Drum

Here are some of my students learning traditional Korean drumming at school this morning. It looked like fun. I wanted to join in! The kids do terrific cultural things in the preschool. They also learn tae-kwon-do. They are just too cute running around in their tae-kwon-do uniforms. I'll try to get a photo next time. Unfortunately, my camera isn't handling indoor shots too well these days, so the photos are a little out of focus.And here is "my littlest student." She's actually the younger sister of one of my students. She just celebrated her first birthday last week. She's such a sweetheart, always happy. Today she followed me into the teacher's room when I was preparing for class, so I snapped this shot. A lot of the babies here look at me and start to cry, but this little one has become my friend. Today she learned "high five!" She's almost always smiling, but she looks a little worried here.

4 comments:

Cynthia said...

That is awesome that the children do so much culturally, American schools should do that too! I remember having a Colonial Day in 2nd grade and making candles and learning about Betsy Ross.

Glad you are over that nasty bug, and the sunburn was gone in time fo ryou to have the bug! I love the pictures of the kids...helps me imagine what Jack will be like when he's a little older.

E.M. Herbert said...

I'm really impressed by how much the kids learn in preschool and kindergarten--tae kwon do, drumming, Chinese characters, English--and that's just a start. Education is very serious here. In many ways, I think it's good, but in some ways, I think it's a little too serious, and kids aren't given enough time just to be kids.

I'm glad you like the photos. There are several more in archived posts, and I'll keep them coming! I hope life is good on your side of the world.

Mike said...

Ellen!!! Glad your vacation looked like fun. Mountains AND beaches! Good luck with the new school year and new kids. I can remember moving up a year in elementary school--interesting to hear about it from the side of the teacher.

I'm leaving Friday for NYC. We have model United Nations. haha, I'm the Russian Federation, General Assembly. It's my first time to New York, so I'm excited. It maked me think of Jane, Plumbline, and CCYM....

E.M. Herbert said...

Mike! I've been wondering about you! Have a terrific trip to New York. What a great city! I haven't been back there since my 18th birthday but would love to go again sometime. (I spent my 17th and 18th birthdays there for the UN Seminar, similar to Plumbline.) Take pictures!!