I'm really lucky. Since coming to Korea, I have made friends who have become my family here. I owe so many of my positive experiences in their country to them. Sometimes I think they can't possibly know what a difference they make to me, that my life is better and happier because of them. All friendships are important, but as a foreigner in Korea--a foreigner with limited Korean language skills and a limited understanding of the culture and society--I depend on my friends more than ever. Sometimes I feel like an infant here. I'm unable to do things independently that I would be able to do without even really thinking at home. Sometimes I worry about becoming a burden on the people closest to me when I need to ask for help with silly things, small things. On the other hand, I have learned to accept the assistance of others graciously and try to return it or pass it on as often as I can. I am lucky. I came here a stranger and will leave here a friend.
Some photos from this week:
City Youth Festival with Chloe, 9/9/07. She's dressed in the school uniform worn by characters in Japanese comic books.

With some of the other staff members at school, 9/11/07. We coincidentally all wore black shirts that day. Unfortunately I didn't get the memo about hair color.
2 comments:
at least you're wearing black
Yeah, I got the memo about the shirt color, just not the hair.
Post a Comment