Saturday, March 31, 2007

Yellow Dust Storm

We've been having a yellow dust storm today. The level in Seoul is 776 ug/m3 now, which is extremely high. The US military lists it as "very unhealthy--avoid prolonged or heavy exertion" and says that "high risk personnel should avoid all physical activity outdoors." There's a weird yellow haze outside, and my town has been strangely quiet this evening.I was thinking about going hiking tomorrow, but they're forecasting more yellow dust, so I think I might just hang around my apartment. I certainly have enough work here that needs to be done. It's the end of the month, so it is progress report and lesson plan time. I also have a whole pile of tests to grade, and my apartment has been embarrassingly neglected the past couple weeks. Yeah, I guess I'd better stay here tomorrow.

4 comments:

Scorpius said...

I stumbled on your blog whose title caught my eye. As a Korean Canadian who still has part of family members in Korea, it's sometimes interesting to see how so-called foreigners perceive the country although I barely interact with it. As you might've noticed by now that Koreans are completely different from the Japanese, however, some Westerners still lack the ability or are ignorant to differentiate the two. But then again it might apply to anyone who doesn't know the differences in between, for instance, Cubans and Dominican Republicans. Anyway, that wasn't the point that I was trying to make. It's just good to see some people from outside embrace and appreciate different culture and custom. That's good to know.

E.M. Herbert said...

I'm glad you found my blog, filmmaker. Yes, I am quite aware that the various countries in Asia have very distinct cultural, historical, ethnic, and other differences, although you're right that many Westerners fail to recognize this. I've also noticed that many people here fail to recognize that not all English-speakers come from the same culture, that while Americans and Canadians and Brits and Australians and Kiwis and South Africans and Irish (and many others) may share a language, there are still differences among us, differences that need both to be respected and, at times, overcome.

Anonymous said...

What causes the yellow dust levels? Is it pollen, or something akin to a sandstorm? this is Katie Hoppe, and I miss you! I'm so glad you have this blog! It's no where near as cool, but you can look me up on sparklesnswords.livejournal.com. Love you!

E.M. Herbert said...

Hi Katie! It's so good to hear from you. What a surprise! The yellow dust comes from the Gobi desert in China and Mongolia. It's worse each year because the desert is growing. Not nice! I'll check out your blog and email soon!