By 11:30 last night, my rash had spread a lot. My skin was bright red, hot, and covered in little itchy bumps. As my luck would have it, by 11:30 on a Saturday night, the pharmacies--the only places you can get medication, even over-the-counter--are all closed until Monday. I called H-k to ask if there was any place that would be open. She didn't think so, but her sister had some anti-allergy medicine and some cream, so she brought it over. It didn't help, but I really appreciated her running out in the middle of the night to bring it to me.
I couldn't sleep. I had a very sore throat and was nauseous all night. In the morning, I had a splitting headache, and the rash was still there. U called for our regular Saturday/Sunday morning conversation. When I told her how I felt, she said it sounded just like scarlet fever. Scarlet fever? Isn't that an 18th century disease? I did a little internet research and found out that it's actually a common childhood illness. I had all the symptoms except a high fever, and my rash looked just like the pictures on the internet. H-k called a little later, and when I told her, she suggested that we go to the local emergency room. (Interestingly, the local ER is part of one of the only university hospitals in the country that practices Chinese medicine, along with Western medicine, though not in the ER.)
The ER doctor looked at me, spoke mainly to H-k, and said it might be scarlet fever but might not be and sent me away with medicine to hold me over until Monday when the regular doctors' offices and pharmacies are open. Then we went to a juk (rice porridge) restaurant for lunch. H-k had half of her juk and half of mine put in take-out containers so I'd have some gentle food at home. I'm lucky to have such a good friend. Catherine met us at the restaurant. Then the three of us stopped at the school so I could write down some quick lesson plans for K and M who will teach for me tomorrow.
I spent the rest of the day lying on my floor (floors are heated here) and dozing on and off. I made some chicken noodle soup from the ingredients I had left in the refrigerator from Friday, but I wasn't really hungry. Tonight I called B, the American physician I met in North Korea in September, and he said it sounded like scarlet fever to him, too. I'll have to follow up with another doctor tomorrow since the emergency room pharmacy can only dispense 1 day's worth of medications.
Sunday, January 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment